The Kāpiti Chamber runs a Learning & Development Programme (L&D) that is planned and run by an Events Committee on behalf of the Chamber Board. The focus of the programme is on professional development for business owners and their staff and/or in response to a topical or significant areas of development for business ie law changes or informational updates etc.
Learning and development aims to improve group and individual performance by increasing and honing skills and knowledge. Learning and development, often called training and development, is part of managing the people and talent in your business and designed to align group and individual goals and performance with the company’s overall vision and goals.
At a practical level, individuals need to identify skill gaps usually through discussion and performance appraisals. Once the gaps are known, you can then go about finding suitable training to upskill and then apply within the business.
The Kāpiti Chamber L&D programme includes:
- Workshops usually held in the morning from 9.30am to 11.30am on a Wednesday with light catering.
- Training after five (TA5) usually held on a Wednesday from 5.30pm to 7.00pm with light catering.
- Brown Bag Lunches (BBL) usually held on a Wednesday from 12.30pm to 2.00pm with attendees bringing their own lunch and something to drink.
L&D has been designed to help local business owners by:
- Promoting and marketing business
- Enhancing business skills and knowledge
- Helping to improve your systems and processes
- Opportunities to be a good employer and providing a safe environment for staff and customers
- Providing an opportunity to network and learn with like-minded people
- Use of specialist/expert guest presenters
- Tapping into support, knowledge and experience to help grow business
The Kāpiti Chamber will endeavour to source an expert in their field to best suit the needs of Members and Non Members who choose to attend the L&D programme.
Cost to Attend the L&D Programme
There is generally a charge to attend to cover costs with a differential fee structure for Members and Non Members. Sometimes it is free for Members to attend. Costs are kept as low as possible with a focus on informing, updating and networking business owners and their staff.
L&D Exhibitor Opportunities
There are also opportunities for any business to have an exhibitor or promotional site at any L&D event whether it be a Workshop, TA5 or BBL. Any exhibitor needs to align with the topic or message being delivered by the presenter/speaker. The cost for a site is $50 + GST. To find out more about having an Exhibitor site at any L&D event, please email the Kapiti Chamber Secretary.
Presenter/Speaker Expression of Interest
For those wishing to be part of the Kapiti Chamber L&D Programme, you will need to email the Kapiti Chamber Secretary with your proposal and professional bio outlining:
- Business name and profile
- What subjects/content are on offer
- Snapshot of previous training and audiences’
- LinkedIn, Facebook and website details
- Referees from previous training sessions
- Any fee expectation, noting the Kapiti Chamber usually operates on the basis of presenters giving their time in return for brand promotion and a list of attendees being provided at the conclusion of the event.
The Training Events Sub-committee will work through any proposal using the following selection criteria:
- Be a fully paid Chamber Member or member of another professional body
- Be clear on keynote vs workshop and any fee requirement
- Referee checked by Chamber Events Committee with questions including:
- Presented keynote or workshop?
- How many people did they present too?
- Topic and purpose?
- What was the level of engagement or buzz in the room?
- Would they use the presenter again?
- Sight evaluation summaries if available.
4. Final approval by the Kapiti Chamber Board on recommendation from the Events Committee
If you have any learning & development ideas or simply want to know more about the L&D programme, contact the Chamber Secretary on firstname.lastname@example.org.