Business After 5 27-09-17
Wed 27 Sep, 2017 - 5:30pm
Business After 5 Host: Southward Car Museum
The Kapiti Chamber of Commerce invites Members and Non Members to their bi-monthly Business After Five networking programme.
Date: Wed 27 Sept 2017
Time: 5.30pm to 7pm
Location: Southward Car Museum, Otaihanga
The BA5 Host for this evening will present their business to those in attendance.
To attend, members are free and non members will be charged $20.
The Southward Car Museum has been an icon of the Kapiti coast for many years. Slightly hidden away from the mainstream traffic it has many hidden gems.
A world class car collection spanning over 100 years, a 483-seat theatre with a tilting floor that can be made flat to accommodate larger functions and weddings. There is a Wurlitzer Organ, and many other rooms to cater for all sorts of functions or meetings, along with a Coffee Shop complete with light snack options.
The Southward Car Museum houses a collection of over 350 vehicles and various other exhibits including motorcycles, bicycles and fire engines.
Sir Len Southward
The founder and benefactor of the Trust that owns Southward Car Museum, Sir Len Southward, with his wife Lady Vera Southward began collecting cars in 1956 when they purchased a Model T Ford for 40 pounds. This vehicle was the start of what would become one of the largest privately-owned car collections in the world, the model T remains in its original condition and has pride of place in the museum.
Knighted in 1986 for his services to the community, Sir Len Southward has been associated with the New Zealand motor industry since 1919, when he started work as a message boy in a Wellington motor warehouse. He and a partner later set up their own motorcycle repair business.
In the 1950’s, he gained headlines throughout Australasia for his championship in his speedboat "Redhead". On the 22nd February 1953, he powered "Redhead" across Wellington harbour to become the first man in Australasia to travel at over 100mph (160km/h) on water.
However, over the years his fascination with vintage cars gradually became a fulltime occupation. As the collection continued to grow, it was decided to establish a permanent museum on this six-hectare site close to state highway 1. The Museum was opened to the public in 1979.
Sir Len died aged 98 on 19 February 2004.